Friday, January 4, 2013

Child portrait project

Ok i got a dslr i play around with it for a time read a lot of blogs and e-book about photography stuff
( i really don't have a formal education about basic photography so please be gentle with your comments and criticism ) and then i had my hand with a pair of speedlights, and like a boy who want to test his new toy I'm excited to test it. I now have a project in mind "indoor portrait".
Ok I got the gear and idea for a project what i need is a model who is willing to pose for an amateur like me. I've done my research and i now have an idea for a final output of my project but i still don't have a model, a morning before go to work i see the formal attire of my son hanging in the closet and like a missing piece in a puzzle it fits.


I searched for poses in formal attire and after downloading those images i save it in my laptop so that my son
will can easily imitate those poses, and since i have an old camera in the house i have an idea  to shoot a bird watching and formal attire theme.

Project : indoor portrait
Theme  : birdwatching, formal
Gear     : Nikon D3100 with kitlens, 2 external flash, tripod

I put 1 of my flash in the tripod in rembrant position as my main light in half power.
Since i want it to have a lens flare as if the light is enveloping the body I put the other flash behind my son in 1/8 power and from time to time changing the position of the flash from bouncing the light to the wall or directly hitting my sons back.
Now you might notice that i didnt mention the use of flash trigger device or commander mode.
its because i dont have one and my d3100 is also not capable of commander mode.
Tip#1 know your gear, since i know that my camera cant use commander mode and I dont have a budget for a flash trigger. I bought a speedlight that have a optical slave mode option ( it means you can trigger the speedlights by using your built in flash).
Tip#2 when you do this lighting set up dont forget that instead of 2 light you now have 3 lights, the third one is from the built in flash, I use this as my fill light and for catchlight.

You might notice that some of my shot dont have shadows, I really experemented a lot here from changing the power of my 3 lights and changing my aperture settings

Well here are the final results of my project.

























No comments:

Post a Comment